Friday, April 07, 2006

NASCAR in Texas

Well, it's that time of year again. And thanks to the powers that be, "that time of year" happens twice in a 12-month span. NASCAR is in Texas. Now, to many of you, the idea of watching cars drive in circles just makes you frustrated and dizzy. But to those of us who know the history, prestige, strategy and wonder of stock cars traveling at high speeds at close range...there's nothing better. Once you go to a race, your ideas of the sport will never be the same. I've been to two races (both at TMS last year), and I can honestly say there's nothing like being in the infield, the pits, the grandstands and the garage. Granted, I have media passes and can go where the average Joe cannot, which probably makes it a lot cooler than watching from the 574th row in the upper deck next to some huge fat guy eating bratworst named "Bubba."

How's this for a weekend: Busch series race on Saturday afternoon, Mavericks game on Saturday night (media passes, locker room, post-game interviews, all that stuff) and the Cup race on Sunday afternoon. Never thought I'd hear myself say I couldn't wait for a NASCAR race. By the way, I know every Cup series champ since its inception in 1949. I'm a nerd. But I'm a nerd who will be rubbing shoulders with Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Carl Edwards, Troy Aikman, Roger Staubach, Mark Martin, Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon and on and on and on. Have fun doing whatever it is you're going to do this weekend. Don't call me. I won't be able to hear my phone. Boo-yah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home