Thursday, December 24, 2009

WHITE ROCK EXPERIENCE

For the first time since 2005, I did not run (or attempt to run) the Whiterock Marathon in Dallas.

I've been having some hip issues so I decided to just do the half. Per some ideas I generated from the running bible "Born to Run", I ran without a watch and had fun...finished in 1:39:37.

I chatted with people before the race and during. I showed fellow VFF runners and Born to Run readers my Chia Fresca.

I didn't run in my VFFs but saw about eight people with them on...one guy was sans shoes. I saw him about the 24 mile mark.

My hip hardly bothered me throughout the race, but I did start to feel some tightness in my lower left calf/achilles about 6 miles in.

I finished without incident and have not run more than .5 since that day to give my hip/feet/achilles time to relax and recover.

Interesting to note that I have run farther than 6.2 miles one time since April and was able to finish 13.1 pretty easy.

It would have been more interesting to see how I could have done if I didn't have all these stupid little ailments nipping at me. I can't wait to be pain free, and I think I'm close!

Anyhoo, I chatted with fellow runners and smiled throughout the race and had a very enjoyable experience.

I even got a chance to head over to the finish line and watch some of the faster marathoners come through which is very inspiring.

I did notice that about 98% of everyone finising right around three hours had similar running styles and shoes.

They landed under their center of gravity on the balls of their feet and had very minimal support underneath them. Good to see.

My friend, John, who ran the full, was hindered by some calf and quad issues and still ran a 3:20. Must be nice to be limping through 26.2 and still beat my PR by 8 minutes.

Way to rub it in.

Depending on how I feel the next month and if I can finally get some long runs in, I may run the full in Austin in February...but we'll see.

Thanks for reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home